Rangers - WWII Luxembourg American Cemetery
Rangers who rest in the soils they liberated photos courtesy Honorary S&D, Franck Maurouard, France
The World War II Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial lies just within the limits of Luxembourg City, about three miles east of the center of that capital. The cemetery, fifty acres in extent, is situated in a beautiful wooded area. Not far from the entrance stands the white stone chapel sitting on a wide circular platform nearly surrounded by woods. It is embellished with sculpture in bronze and stone, a stained glass window with American unit insignia, and a mosaic ceiling. In front of the chapel at a lower lever are two large stone pylons with operations maps made of inlaid granites and accompanying inscriptions describing the achievements of American Armed Forces in the region during World War II. Additionally these pylons are inscribed with the names of 371 Americans who gave their lives in the service of their country and lie in unknown graves.
The cemetery was established on December 29, 1944 by the 609th Quartermaster Company of the U.S. Third Army while Allied Forces were stemming the enemy's desperate Ardennes Offensive, one of World War II's critical battles. The city of Luxembourg served as headquarters for General George S. Patton's U.S. Third Army. General Patton is buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetery.