Brittany American Cemetery
Rangers - WWII Brittany American Cemetery (St. James)
Rangers who rest in the soils they liberated photos courtesy Honorary S&D, Franck Maurouard, France
Home to 4,410 American Dead, most of whom gave their lives in the Normandy and Brittany campaigns in 1944. Located on the site of the temporary American St. James Cemetery, established on August 4, 1944 by the U.S. Third Army marking the point where the American forces broke through the hedgerow country of Normandy into Brittany.
At this cemetery, covering twenty-eight acres of rolling farm country near the eastern edge of Brittany, rest 4,410 American Dead, most of whom gave their lives in the Normandy and Brittany campaigns in 1944. Along the retaining wall of the memorial terrace are inscribed the names of 498 Americans who gave their lives in the service of their country but rest in unknown graves. Brittany American Cemetery is located on the site of the temporary American St. James Cemetery, established on August 4, 1944 by the U.S. Third Army. It marks the point where the American forces made their famous breakthrough from the hedgerow country of Normandy into the plains of Brittany during their offensive around Avranches.
The gray granite memorial contains the chapel as well as two large operations maps and flags of our military services and overlooks the burial area. Interesting stained glass and sculpture aid in embellishing the structure. The lookout platform of the chapel tower, reached by 98 steps, affords a view of the stately pattern of the headstones as well as the peaceful surrounding countryside stretching northward to the sea and Mont St. Michel.